318. 50 Ways to Woo Your Lover (In Barrington) Part I
Valentine’s Day is just two days away and, if you haven’t found something for your Valentine yet, never fear. We’ve compiled a list of 50 ways to score some big points with your significant other, without leaving Barrington.
Please feel free to add your two cents by offering some romantic ideas of your own. Anyone can leave a comment on this blog, just by clicking HERE or by filling out the comments box at the very bottom of this post. In the meantime, here we go. Get ready for loads of ideas that will keep your main squeeze longing for your love…
1. PARIS LA NUIT - How does a little tableside serenade sound? L’Eiffel Bistrot and Creperie at the Arboretum of South Barrington has hired a duet to play romantic gypsy music during dining hours Sunday and Monday nights. The duo includes French Violinist Marielle and a guitarist. The restaurant is offering a special three-course menu on Sunday and Monday nights for $37.50 plus they’re offering special champagne cocktails flavored with Chambord, cherry or wild hibiscus. L’EiffelBistrot.com
2. DIP INTO LOVE – While you’re in South Barrington, why not drop by Anna Shea Chocolates, also at the Arboretum. They’re selling fast, but there are still tickets available for their special “Dip Into Love” menu on Monday, February 14th, from 6 – 10PM. The cost is $70 per couple and the menu includes three courses. The “First Love” course is a smooth and creamy cheese fondue accompanied by crusty bread, apples, salami and broccoli paired with a glass of one of their boutique wines. After a sorbet interlude, the final “Lasting Love” course includes their signature chocolate fondue accompanied by fresh fruit and sweet treats and glass of Vino de Mocca Port or Veuve Moisans Cuivee Extra Brut Sparkling and Coffee Service. PLUS – Anna She is also offering their “Romance Collection” heart-shaped chocolates and boxes of their signature chocolates which are all delicious and are a great way to your lover’s heart. AnnaSheaChocolates.com
3. SWEET PEA CAKES – The downtown Barrington couture cake & cupcake boutique will be offering chocolate covered strawberries on Valentine’s day. The price is $4 each or 2 for $7. And the February flavors at Sweet Pea Cakes are enough to make your sweetheart swoon. They’re currently offering cupcakes titled “Strawberries and Champagne” (champagne soaked strawberries baked into a vanilla cake with strawberry swiss meringue buttercream), “Cocoa Berry” (chocolate with strawberry buttercream and strawberry swill meringue), “Red Hot” (cinnamon cake with streusel and cream cheese frosting,) and “Hot Mess” (chocolate cupcake with cinnamon caramel filling, chocolate swiss meringe buttercream and more of the homemade cinnamon caramel on top). 140 S. Cook Street – Barrington, IL – 1-800-YUMM! SweetPeaCakes.com
4. VALENTINE WINE – Harry and David at Deer Park Town Center is offering two delicious Valentine Wines. You can pick up a bottle of their Chocolate Infused Cherry Wine called “Chateau Amour” from Illinois River Winery for $10 or a Sweetheart red wine from Lynfred Winery, also for $10. Plus, they have a great variety of valentine-themed cookies, candies, cakes and gourmet gift baskets. HarryandDavid.com
5. PASSIONATE PASTRIES – The expert chefs at Ambrosia Euro American Patisserie in Barrington will be baking a fresh batch of beautiful natural artisan pastries for you to bring home to your Valentine tomorrow, Sunday, Febraury 13th. Their hand rolled bite-sized truffles are always a big hit for V-Day, especially the “Dark Chocolate Passion Fruit” and “Sea Salted Chocolate Caramel” truffles. Their miniature pastries range from $1.75 to $2.45 a piece and the individual pastries range from $2.75 to $5.25 each. DiscoverAmbrosia.com
6. NOW PLAYING AT THE CATLOW - True Grit – Catlow Showtimes Grab a sandwich and a bag of gourmet caramel, cheese or mixed popcorn at Boloney’s Sandwich Shoppe to enjoy during the movie at The Catlow Theater. For more information, contact Roberta at 847-381-0645, visit Boloney’s Website at Boloneys.com or the Catlow Theater’s website at TheCatlow.com. 116 W. Main Street – Barrington, Illinois
8. LOVE POTION – The Baristas at Starbucks are serving “The Coffee of Love” on Valentine’s Day. Sip the flavors of “Verona” while you share a chocolate cupcake, marble pound cake or delicious toffee almond bar – 847-842-8048 – 125 S. Hough Street
9. TIPTOE THROUGH THE TULIPS - The Barrington Flower Shop has a bunch of Valentine’s Day specials. Pick up 12 long-stem roses for $85.00, a bubble bowl of mixed tulips for $55.00 or a clear square vase with red rocks and white dendrobium orchids for $50.00 • 800-382-4090 • 201 S. Cook Street, Barrington, IL • BarringtonFlowerShop.com
10. HEART SHAPED PIZZA - Lou Malnati’s Pizzeria puts a little romance into their pies. Finished with pepperoni, sausage or your favorite pizza toppings, this is one delivery that will delight your valentine. Lou Malnati’s in Lake Zurich delivers anywhere in Barrington. One heart shaped pizza is the size of a small deep dish and perfect for two. It’ll cost about $11.56, plus more for extra toppings. Delivery is an additional $2.00. Lou Malnati’s Pizzeria • 847-550-8800 • 1225 Rand Road, Lake Zurich, IL
11. DO SOMETHING SWEET – Tempt your lover’s taste buds at The Barrington Chocolate Shoppe. They’re offering delicious heart-shaped edible chocolate boxes with beautiful edging which make great gifts on their own or filled with foil wrapped truffles. The white chocolate, dark chocolate and milk chocolate heart boxes are $9.95 and look just like porcelain. An 8-piece box of their artisan painted truffles costs $8.95 and their chocolate dipped strawberries are $1.75 each or $18 a dozen. (please call to order larger quantities in advance) The Barrington Chocolate Shoppe is known for their homemade chocolates which are made daily and always fresh. Their hottest selling chocolate right now is the owner’s own creation made with milk chocolate, dark chocolate, fresh blueberries and pecans. • 847-381-8833 • 121B Barrington Commons Court, Barrington, IL BarringtonChocolate.com
12. DAZZLE WITH DIAMONDS – M.J. Miller & Company, Inc. is offering 14% off all heart shaped jewelry for the first 14 purchasers from February 14th through the 16th plus cookies and treats for guests • 847-381-7900 • 123 West Main Street, Barrington, IL 60010 MJMillerJewelers.com
13. CHAMPAIGN TOAST – Park Avenue Wine Bar and Merchant is offering special champagne flights with their Valentine-themed menu for Sunday and Monday nights. 847-382-3900 – 205 Park Avenue in Barrington – ParkAvenueWineBar.com
14. A FRENCH AFFAIR – The chef at Barrington Country Bistro has arranged a spectacular Valentine menu for the holiday which includes raw oysters, a duo of Fois Gras, Baked Lobster Tian, Truffle Risotto plus Veal Chop, Rack of Lamb and Boulibase specials. They’re also offering a special trio of desserts including Raspberry Creme Brulee, Fresh Fruit Charlotte and Bread pudding with Grand Marnier Caramel Sauce. But don’t forget to ask for one of their delicious new martinis. “La Vie en Rose” is made with Grey Goose Pear Vodka, Triple Sec, rose water, lime wedge and pink sugar around the rim, and the “Angel’s Kiss” is mixed with Grey Goose Vodka and Peach Puree, shaken and topped with Champagne. The For Reservations call 847-842-1300 • 700 W. Northwest Highway, Barrington, IL • BarringtonCountryBistro.com
15. G WHIZ – If you’re looking for “Gifts that Get Noticed” drop by G Whiz, with locations at The Foundry of Barrington and Deer Park Town Center. They have two Valentine’s Day specials going on right now. If you spend $125, you’ll receive a FREE Pandora jewelry roll to store and protect bracelets and other jewelry. They’re also featuring a Brighton promotion where you’ll receive a FREE heart shaped candy dish if you spend $100. 847-384-0255 (The Foundry) or 847-550-1555 (Deer Park) ShopGWhiz.com
16. CUPID’S COOKIES - Clarke’s Bakery and Deli is offering heart shaped cookies, decadent strawberries dripped in white or dark chocolate, strawberry tarts and chocolate or vanilla petit fours • 847-381-5113 • 455 West Northwest Highway, Barrington, IL 60010
17. KEEP IT CASUAL - The Onion Pub & Brewery is cooking up a special Valentine’s Day Menu with appetizer specials, surf and turf, unique desserts & drink specials • 847-381-7308 • 22N221 Pepper Road, Lake Barrington, IL • OnionPub.com
18. HEARTS ON A PLATE – The chef at Francesca’s Famiglia Restaurant in Barrington has created a special menu which will be offered on Sunday and Monday nights, including heart shaped raviolis, heart shaped pizzas, Risotto with Lobster and other fun and romantic items. For dessert? They’re offering a special White Chocolate Rasperty Mousse Terrine served with Creme Anglaise, Raspberry Sauce and Fresh Mixed Berries. 847-277-1027 – 100 E. Station Street – MiaFrancesca.com
19. BREAKFAST IN BED – French toast, fruit juice or plain old toast and cereal. Beat your Baby out of bed and surprise her with breakfast between the sheets. For an extra touch, surprise him or her by bringing out the best china and silverware. Top it off with a flower and a little love note and, voila, bon appetit mon petit chou.
20. FIZZY BOMB FINESSE - Shock your soul mate by setting up a luxury spa at home with fresh towels, fine smelling soaps and a tub full of fragrant froth. For a few fancy touches, visit Acacia Organics in downtown Barrington. They just received a new shipment of bath and body products from WoodSprite, one of their most popular selling brands. They have hot chocolate and cinnamon scented body butters, body scrubs, lotions, soaps and bath fizzy bombs in the $20-$26 price range to help you create a romantic spa like atmosphere. Ooh la la! 847-387-3174 – 100 E. Station Street, Suite 155 – AcaciaOrganics.com
21. PLEASED TO PAMPER – They’re offering three separate Valentine’s Day Spa packages at the Green Door Day Spa in Barrington. “All About Her” is a 100 minute treatment for $95 that includes a Silky Skin Body Scrub and Lavender Pedicure. The “All About Him” package is also a 100 minute treatment which includes a deep tissue massage and gentleman’s haircut for $95. If you’d like to treat each other, then the “For Both” package is the one for you! It costs $140 and includes an 80 minute hot stone massage for him and an 80 minute facial for her. All three Valentine’s Day packages come with a cupcake from Sweet Pea Cakes and some hot chocolate to keep you feeling warm and fuzzy. For an appointment, call 847-469-8336 – 100 E. Station Street – Barrington, Illinois - GreenDoorBarrington.com
22. ROMANTIC READS – If your love bug is a book worm, drop by the bookstore or library and pick up a classic romance novel like Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice or Wuthering Heights – BarringtonAreaLibrary.org
23. LOVE AT THE CAR WASH – Even Fast Eddie’s Car Wash has a romantic side. They’re offering two Valentine’s specials through February 17th. Purchase a $100 gift card and receive an additional $25.00 complimentary gift card or purchase a $50.00 gift card and receive a $10.00 complimentary gift card. 847-381-0530 – 330 W. Northwest Highway – Barrington, IL
24. SING HIS PRAISES - It might be tough, but find a way to compliment him on something he did – & express your thanks in song – karaoke style. Some options: “Let’s Get it On,” “Do Ya Think I’m Sexy,” or “Wild Thing”.
25. ROSES ARE RED – To really win some brownie points, put on your poet’s hat and pen a Valentine verse or two. Click Here for tips on How to Write a Love Poem. Need to find words that rhyme with love, hottie or cupcake??? check out RhymeZone.com.
Come back tomorrow for the second half of our list of “50 Ways to Woo Your Lover” (In Barrington). If you have an idea that we should add to the list, leave us a comment at the bottom of this post or in our suggestion box which you’ll find by clicking HERE.