Autumn vegetables are so abundant and creating a delicious grilled vegetable pizza using naan couldn’t be easier. Naan is a perfect vehicle for just about anything from sweet treats to savory. Toasted naan with bananas and Nutella is a favorite. Today we are starting with grilled naan, topping it with whipped ricotta with a slight hint of lemon and olive oil. I would be happy to stop there but we are going further with grilled autumn vegetables, arugula and a bit of crumbled goat cheese.
Whipping ricotta transforms it into a smooth and creamy ingredient that is extremely versatile. The savory version can be used with salads, crostini, and pasta, while a sweet version is perfect on fresh fruit or baked goods. Its uses are limited only by your creativity.
Grilled Vegetable Naan Pizza with Whipped Ricotta
- 3 small zucchini
- 2 summer squash
- 2 Carrots
- 3 tbsp. plus 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 bunch scallions
- Baby arugula
- Cherry tomatoes
- 4 large pieces of Naan
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 1 cup whole-milk ricotta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
For the Whipped Ricotta:
- Combine the ricotta, olive oil, lemon juice, zest and salt, in a food processor with metal blade or a blender.
- Blend for 2 minutes or until silky smooth in the food processor or blender, stopping to scrape down the sides of the container once or twice with a spatula. Set aside in the refrigerator.
For the pizza:
- Cut zucchini and summer squash and carrots lengthwise no more than ¼ inches thick.
- Brush with 1 tablespoon olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and grill over medium-high until charred and just tender, 3 minutes per side. Toss scallions with 1 teaspoon olive oil and grill, turning occasionally, until just tender; transfer to a board and cut into pieces.
- Lightly brush oil onto Naan bread and grill until toasted, 1 minute per side,
- Spread ricotta on each piece of Naan, then top with zucchini, squash, carrots, tomatoes and and scallions. Top with baby arugula and a few goat cheese crumbles. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
About the Author
Photographer Sally Roeckell specializes in contemporary lifestyle portraiture with an emphasis on food photography. Her Blog, Table and Dish is a website devoted to celebrating and curating the many ways that food binds us. Sally hopes that her recipes and images will inspire you to gather your friends and family in the kitchen to make memories, use the time to connect with busy kids, chat over mixing bowls, get messy, laugh, sing, set the table, clear the table, pass the salt, debate the days topics and pray. You can follow her here as a weekly contributor to 365Barrington and Heinen’s as well as via Table and Dish on Instagram and on her website at TableAndDish.com.
Have you heard about Heinen’s Tasteful Rewards™ program? Sign up for free to receive exclusive weekly specials via email and earn Heinen’s rewards. As a Tasteful Rewards™ membership benefit, Heinen’s will donate up to 1% of your qualified purchases made between September and April to a local school of your choice through their Teaming Up for Education Program. CLICK HERE to sign up for Heinen’s Tasteful Rewards™ and, trust me, this is one email that will always please your palate!
Heinen’s Grocery is located at 500 N. Hough Street, between E. Main Street and Route 14 (next to Meatheads) in Barrington, Illinois. They’re open 7 days a week from 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. For more information, visit Heinens.com.