Who & What
Barrington’s Courageous Conversations is excited to kick off their 2021 events back in person at Barrington’s White House!
“How can friendships open our minds and expand our thinking? When Matthew Stevenson invited white nationalist R. Derek Black to Shabbat dinner, it set Derek on a transformative path toward unlearning his beliefs. The rest is chronicled in the book Rising Out of Hatred: The Awakening of a Former White Nationalist. What can we learn from their inspiring story? Join hosts Rev. Dr. Zina Jacque and Jessica Green to welcome Derek & Matthew to Courageous Conversations at Barrington’s White House. Presented in partnership with the Illinois Holocaust Museum & Education Center.”
Where & When
This event is on Wednesday, October 13th from 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm and is available in-person at Barrington’s White House and virtually, with instructions provided before the session.
To request ASL interpreting, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
More to Know
Are you signed up for Courageous Conversations? Every Second Wednesday, 7pm:
- September 8, 2021: Seeing No Stranger – Diversity Over Division
- October 13, 2021: Befriending Radical Disagreement
- November 10, 2021: Minding How Media Shapes Our Minds
- December 8, 2021: Reckoning with Injustice
Here are past articles for our takeaways from the 2020-2021 seasons of Courageous Conversations:
- September, 2020 – Standing in Another’s Shoes
- October, 2020 – Parenting for Inclusion
- November, 2020 – Repairing Civic Trust & Becoming America
- December, 2020 – Healing Our Communities
- February, 2021 – Love, Anger & Apology
- March, 2021 – Calling In or Calling Out
About Courageous Conversations & Urban Consolate
A Year of Courageous Conversations is presented by Urban Consulate and Barrington’s White House and made possible by your ticket purchase and generous support from Jessica & Dominic Green, Kim Duchossois, Tyler & Danielle Lenczuk, Cobey & Erich Struckmeyer, Susan & Rich Padula, Julie Kanak & Mike Rigali, Barrington Area Community Foundation, and BMO Wealth Management. To learn more, visit CourageousCommunity.us.
Photos from Courageous Conversations at Barrington’s White House by Linda Barrett.