Now that school is back in full swing and Labor Day is behind us it won’t be long before the days get shorter and the air turns cooler. When it’s almost dark at dinner time the thought of making a big involved meal sounds like a chore. Today’s recipe, One Pan Sausage and Veggies takes the drudgery out of dinner time. This quick prep can be made and portioned into single serve containers for easy nutritious microwave dinners on busy nights. It will also last in the fridge for up to 5 days for weekday dinners or lunches.
I like to double the recipe. you can serve one pan for dinner tonight and pack up the rest for the freezer. All you need is one pan, a bowl, a cutting board and a knife. Who doesn’t like easy clean up? If you spread your ingredients out onto two pans so the ingredients are not crowded it will allow everything to get that carmalized roasted edge that adds to its deliciousness.
These ingredients are delicious alone but serve them on rice or quinoa for a complete meal. The seasoned oil poured over everything adds intense flavor to already delicious ingredients.
One Pan Chicken Sausage and Veggies
- 2 large carrots
- 2 cups cut red potatoes
- 1 small-medium zucchini
- 2 red peppers
- 1 head broccoli
- 16 ounces Smoked Italian Turkey or Chicken Sausage like Aidells or Amylu apple gouda chicken sausage.
- 1/2 tablespoon EACH: dried basil, dried oregano, dried parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated, optional
- 4 and 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Optional: fresh parsley, salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper or foil (easy clean-up) and set aside.
- Prep the veggies: It is important to prep the veggies according to directions to ensure they all cook at the same time
- Peel and thinly slice the carrots.
- Wash and chop the red potatoes into bite sized pieces.
- Halve the zucchini and then cut 1/4” coins of zucchini.
- Chop the broccoli into bite sized pieces.
- Remove the stems and seeds from the peppers and chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Chop the sausage into thick coins.
- Pour all the veggies and sausage on the sheet pan.
- In a small bowl combine all of the seasonings and salt and pepper if desired, with the olive oil. Stir to combine.
- Pour the seasoning & oil mixture on top of the veggies and sausage and thoroughly toss to coat.
- Place in the heated oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove and toss around the veggies + sausage and return to the oven for another 10-20 minutes or until veggies are crisp tender.
- Remove and top, if desired, with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.
- Serve on top of rice or quinoa if desired.
About the Author
Photographer Sally Roeckell specializes in contemporary lifestyle portraiture with an emphasis on food photography. Her Blog, Table and Dish is a website devoted to celebrating and curating the many ways that food binds us. Sally hopes that her recipes and images will inspire you to gather your friends and family in the kitchen to make memories, use the time to connect with busy kids, chat over mixing bowls, get messy, laugh, sing, set the table, clear the table, pass the salt, debate the days topics and pray. You can follow her here as a weekly contributor to 365Barrington and Heinen’s as well as via Table and Dish on Instagram and on her website at TableAndDish.com.
Have you heard about Heinen’s Tasteful Rewards™ program? Sign up for free to receive exclusive weekly specials via email and earn Heinen’s rewards. As a Tasteful Rewards™ membership benefit, Heinen’s will donate up to 1% of your qualified purchases made between September and April to a local school of your choice through their Teaming Up for Education Program. CLICK HERE to sign up for Heinen’s Tasteful Rewards™ and, trust me, this is one email that will always please your palate!
Heinen’s Grocery is located at 500 N. Hough Street, between E. Main Street and Route 14 (next to Meatheads) in Barrington, Illinois. They’re open 7 days a week from 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. For more information, visit Heinens.com.