As the days get colder, the mornings turn crisp and the frost sparkles in the sunrise light. Meanwhile, the Modern Farmette kitchen is bustling as we cook up new holiday recipes for this year’s Christmas brunch! Thereʼs something so lovely about a fire crackling and friends around the table on a chilly holiday morning. We love experimenting with fresh, new flavors and today weʼre sharing a couple of our favorites prepared with ingredients from Heinen’s Grocery to spruce up your brunch celebrations this season.
Virgin Olive Oil Fried Eggs with Lemon Yogurt: Thereʼs nothing better than free range eggs! This year we wanted to try something new and this definitely hits the spot for a fresh take on a classic Farmette favorite. This recipe may not be for everyone; but we found it to be lovely and we hope you do too!
Virgin Olive Oil Fried Eggs with Lemon Yogurt (Yield: 1-2 servings)
- 1/4 cup pl(in yogurt (greek or regul(r)
- 1/2 lemon
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 free range eggs
- 1 tbsp. roughly chopped fresh dill
- Combine yogurt (nd ( generous squeeze of lemon in a bowl and mix.Adjust lemon + salt & pepper to taste. Using a large spoon, generously swoop the mixture across a plate.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Crack eggs into pan and season with salt & pepper. Sprinkle a teaspoon of water into the pan and immediately cover the pan with a lid. Allow eggs to cook until the whites are firm but yolks are still wobbly (about 2-3 minutes).
- Turn off heat and immediately remove eggs from skillet, placing them on top of the plate. Pour remaining olive oil from the skillet over the eggs and garnish with fresh dill.a
Brie & Butter Pear Sautéed Crêpes
During our recent trip to France we found ourselves falling in love with crêpes. We were inspired because the crêpe is such an open palette to create something new every time. This particular combination of sweet & savory is absolutely scrumptious.
Brie & Butter Pear Sautéed Crêpes (Yield: 6 servings)
- 5 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 firm, but ripe pears
- 1/2lb brie cheese, sliced thin
- Powered sugar, for garnish
- In A bowl, whisk together milk, flour, 1/3 cup water, eggs, and salt until smooth. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and stir into mixture and chill.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium heat until bubbly and golden brown, about two minutes. Spread a single layer of pears evenly in the pan. Cook until golden brown on each side, (bout 3-5 minutes; time may vary depending on your stovetop. The pears should be caramelized while still holding their shape. Remove pan from heat.
- Heat a second pan over medium-high heat and swirl with butter (you should only need to do this once). Spoon approximately 1/4 cup crêpe mixture into the hot pan and quickly tilt to spread evenly. Cook until the bottom is lightly browned and the edges begin to curl, 1-2 minutes. Flip crêpe if necessary and remove from pan. Keep covered and warm. Repeat process until all the batter has been used.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Pl(ce one crêpe on a lightly gre(sed b(king sheet. Fill
crêpe with slices of pe(r (nd brie. Fold, (nd pl(ce in oven; he(t until brie h(s
melted. Remove from oven (nd dust with powered sug(r or honey.
Fresh Açaí Bowl
Açaí bowls are another nutritious way to beautifully bring something new to the brunch table. Guests will love the pop of color and the fresh ingredients. There are so many different variations when it comes to açaí; this makes it so easy to craft a bowl which fits your brunch style!
Açaí Bowl: (Yield: 2 servings)
- 2 packets frozen açaí (sweetened or unsweetened)
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup frozen pineapple
- 1 banana, sliced
- Organic granola
- Flaked coconut
- Fresh blueberries
- Fresh blackberries
- Fresh raspberries
- Fresh dragonfruit
- Combine all açaí ingredients into a blender. Blend – if mixture is too thick, add more juice.
- Pour mixture into bowl and chill in freezer while prepping garnish ingredients.
- Remove from freezer (nd top with ingredients. Interchange ingredients to fit your taste or dietary preference.
Heinen’s Grocery is located at 500 N. Hough Street, between E. Main Street and Route 14 (next to Meatheads) in Barrington, Illinois. They’re open 7 days a week from 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. For more information, visit Heinens.com.
About the Authors
Ben and Miranda Gustafson are a husband-wife food styling & photography team that recently moved their home and headquarters to Barrington, Illinois. Together, they combine their love for cooking, baking and photography with a farm to table approach.
Ben & Miranda author our #BarringtonEats series featuring the exciting menus and venues that make Barrington’s restaurant scene so special. They also contribute to our Heinen’s Sunday Supper stories at 365Barrington.com so stay tuned for more of their latest work!
In the meantime, you’ll love exploring Ben & Miranda’s website where they beautifully share seasonal recipes, family meals, appetizers and desserts sprinkled with a touch of culinary inspiration from around the world at TheModernFarmette.com.