Bundle up, Barrington! According to the weather forecast it’s going to be a snowy Halloween for trick-or-treaters hitting the town Thursday night. Trick-or-treat hours are from 3-7 p.m. in most of the Barringtons. Deer Park hours are from 3-8 p.m. and Tower Lakes hours are from 5:30-8 p.m.
Village of Barrington police say we should take extra precautions due to the snow and recommend we follow the National Safety Council‘s tips for a safe Halloween night. Many Halloween accidents happen at road crossings and intersections which will be extra slick if there’s snow this week. Here are some tips to remember as outlined here by the NSC…
Safety Tips for Motorists
Safety tips for parents & anyone who plans to be on the road during trick-or-treat hours:
- Watch for children walking on roadways, medians and curbs
- Enter and exit driveways and alleys carefully
- At twilight and later in the evening, watch for children in dark clothing
- Discourage new, inexperienced drivers from driving on Halloween
On the Trick-or-Treat Trail
A few quick reminders will help your trick-or-treaters play it safe.
- A responsible adult should accompany young children on the neighborhood rounds
- If your older children are going alone, plan and review a route acceptable to you
- Agree on a specific time children should return home
- Remind your children never to enter a stranger’s home or car
- Instruct children to travel only in familiar, well-lit areas and stick with their friends
- Children and adults are reminded to put electronic devices down
- Keep heads up and walk, don’t run, across the street
- Tell your children not to eat any treats until they return home
- Be sure to check candy before your child eats it
Before Halloween arrives, be sure to choose a costume that won’t cause safety hazards.
- All costumes, wigs and accessories should be fire-resistant
- Avoid masks, which can obstruct vision
- Costumes, including shoes, should be well fitted.
- Knives, swords and accessories should be made of cardboard or flexible materials.
- If children are allowed out after dark, fasten reflective tape to their costumes and bags
- Flashlights or glow sticks help increase visibility.
- When buying Halloween makeup, make sure it is nontoxic and always test it in a small area first
- Remove all makeup before children go to bed to prevent skin and eye irritation
To help ensure adults and children have a safe holiday, the American Academy of Pediatrics has also compiled a list of Halloween safety tips with more advice for keeping your homes & trick-or-treaters safe. Click here to view that list and have a safe and Happy Halloween!
The Barrington Police Department serves the Village of Barrington, Illinois, a community of approximately 10,300 residents in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. Headquartered at 400 N. Northwest Highway in Barrington, its mission is to deliver quality law enforcement services to residents & businesses and to provide a safe and secure environment that fosters a sense of security in person, property & mind. Partnering with the community, the department provides a full range of services including patrol operations, criminal investigations and juvenile investigations, traffic and parking enforcement, crime prevention education and community policing. Click here to follow the Barrington Police Department’s latest Facebook updates & learn more at Barrington-il.gov.