It’s September 10th, the sun is shining and it’s a great day for a polo tournament in Barrington Hills! That’s exactly where thousands of people will be for the 7th annual LeCompte/Kalaway Landowners Cup. It’s one of the coolest and most unique things happening in the Barrington area so, if you’re looking for something fun to do, why not load the family in the car and come check it out?
There will be much more than just polo to watch at the tournament today. You’ll see the Parade of Hounds, the Lake Run Clydesdales, the Stomping of the Divots and a Tailgate Competition. Plus, there will be prizes given to the ladies wearing the best hats, so this is a once-a-year experience that’s really special in the Barrington area and we have the full schedule of today’s events…
- Noon:Pre-Game ShowParade of Hounds by the Fox River Valley Hunt Club/Concord Hounds plus Fox River Valley Pony Club Quadrille
- 12:30 pm: Battle of the Sexes Polo Match & The Ladies vs. The Gentlemen
- 2:30 pm: LeCompte/Kalaway Landowners Cup Polo Match & The Harrington Family vs. Performance Trust Capital Partners, LLC
- The Lake Run Clydesdales will offer rides in the bright red “beer wagon,” a favorite attraction.
- Prizes will be awarded in two special competitions: The Peter Wessel Memorial Tailgate Competition & The Best Ladies’ Hats competition.
Sponsors of this year’s tournament include Audi of America, Hunter’s Fairway Realty and California Closets.
The purpose of this annual tournament is to celebrate the landowners in Barrington Hills who allow the community’s riding trails to cross portions of their private properties. The President of the Barrington Hills Polo Club, John Rosene, says, “Because of them, if you live anywhere in Barrington Hills, you can climb on a horse at your house and visit anyone in the community on horseback. That is one of the core components of what makes Barrington Hills a unique equestrian community.” They revised the name of the tournament this year to make reference to the LeCompte family. They’re the owners of Oakwood Farms, where the tournament takes place at the Barrington Hills Polo Club fields.
Close to 2,000 people came out to last year’s tournament so they’ve reconfigured the parking to ease traffic this year. The cost for general admission is $15 and kids under 12 are free. The cost for Tailgate (Field-side) parking is $100 and includes six admission tickets. You’ll find the Polo Field at Oakwood Farm in Barrington Hills. It’s on Deepwood road, just west of Bateman Road between Lake Cook and Route 62 and you can see it on the map by clicking HERE. The gates open at 11 am, but the action will be happening all day long. For more information, visit BarringtonHillsPolo.com.