I’m bracing myself for a major blast from the past this Saturday night when my husband and I attend my 20 year high school reunion. Thanks to Facebook, I’ve seen a lot of hilarious old photos posted by my high school classmates in recent weeks. And, believe me, in many photos, I’m sporting some seriously questionable styles, like this velvet puff sleeve and taffeta skirt number I was workin’ for a freshman year Christmas dance, circa 1987. Don’t you love how some photos make you relive the most awkward moments?
I went to an all-girls Catholic high school in Wilmette called Regina Dominican, where Laura Ashley dresses were all the rage. I’ll have an instant costume if I bring out one of those bad boys this Halloween. And thank God we had some sweet fashion influences in the music of our time. As one of the planners of this weekend’s party, I’m in charge of creating a playlist for the night. And I’m discovering that, if you need an idea for a Halloween costume this weekend, you need look no further than the wardrobe nuggets found in these top ten hit music videos, hand-picked from the late eighties and early nineties.
10. Walk Like an Egyptian, The Bangles – Costume: Big hair, snake arm band, sleeveless black lycra bodysuit with belt at waist and a tambourine
9. I Melt with You, Modern English – Costume: Black sunglasses, black Greek Fisherman Hat & black tanktop
8. You Spin Me Round (Like a Record), Dead or Alive – Costume: Asymmetrical or side-shaved hair, eye patch, velvet robe, ascot and man brooch
7. If You Leave, Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark (OMD) – Costume: Channel Molly Ringwald from Pretty in Pink with a red wig and fake puffy lips
6. Groove is in the Heart, Deee-Lite – Costume: Short shorts, headband, short fluffy white jacket, finger bling, long nails & retro 60’s dance styles
5. You Can’t Touch This, MC Hammer – Costume: Old School Rapper drop crotch pants with matching short v-neck jacket
4. Venus by Bananarama – Costume: High waisted jeans, midriff baring shirt and thick black leather belt with jazz hands and huge buckle. Oh yeah, and BIG HAIR!
3. Pump Up the Jam, Technotronic – Costume: Spandex unitard with fanny pack and high boots
2. Love Shack, B-52’s – Costume: Beehive, fringe shortsuit, hoop earrings and retro 60’s styles
1. Ice Ice Baby, Vanilla Ice – Costume: Metallic red, white and blue outfit, complete with shoulder pads, parachute pants and high-sided flat-top hair
I lost a few hours diving into my old high school mix tapes and watching these videos this afternoon. In fact, I’m so inspired, that I might just wear a costume to my reunion. Now that would be cool, wouldn’t it? By the way, Barrington’s very own Bob the DJ will be providing the musical entertainment for the night so be sure to stay tuned. I’ll tell you all about it later and will be sure to let you know if any Laura Ashley dresses hit the dance floor ;).