Area restaurants are rolling out new holiday menus just in time for the Village of Barrington’s festive four-day kickoff to the holiday season this weekend. We’re all invited to start a new tradition of sampling special seasonal dishes at local restaurants throughout the month, starting this Friday night, the eve of Santa’s Saturday arrival in downtown Barrington.
There are over 40 exceptional restaurants to choose from in Barrington, offering something for everyone with cuisines from around the globe. I checked out the holiday menus at three of my favorite Barrington restaurants today, just to give you a little taste of what you’ll find when you dine out in Barrington this month…
Park Avenue Wine Bar and Merchant
General Manager, Tom Kalomiris, says he’s excited to see that guests are already bringing a healthy dose of holiday cheer to the Park Avenue Wine Bar and Merchant this year. “In hard times, it seems like December sometimes is a haven for the psyche. You’re allowed to lay down the cares and worries of the entire year and just sort of enjoy being together with friends and family.” Here’s a look at some of the hottest seasonal items and specials offered on their brand new menu:
* Crudo Menu – A selection of raw fish items like Sesame Seed Encrusted Tuna, Tuna Tartare, Red Pepper, Jalapeno and Red Onion Ceviche and Blue Pointe Oysters with a Red Wine Vinegar Mignonette priced per piece or by the dozen.
* Winter Squash Soup – With a Poached Pear Brulée Garnish
* Half Price Bottles of Wine – With Two Entrees for the Month of December
* Address – 205 Park Avenue – Barrington, IL – 60010
* Reservations – Call 847-382-3900 or request yours online at ParkAvenueWineBar.com.
It brings a nice sense of excitement and, to me, a really great sense of community within our restaurant which already has a great neighborhood feel where everybody knows everybody.” Here’s a peek at some of the most popular items on Francesca’s holiday menu:
* Gnocchi Alla Bavosa – Handmade Potato Flour Dumplings Sauteed in a Light Tomato Basil Sauce with Melted Mozzarella Cheese, Olive Oil and Parmesan Cheese. Made from Scratch and “Absolutely Delicious!”
* Osso Bucco Con Polenta – Braised Veal Shank with Carrots, Onions, Celery and Mushrooms over a Marscarpone Polenta.
* Insalata Mista Com Lamponi – Mixed Green Salad tossed with a Raspberry Vinaigrette topped off with Caramelized Walnuts and Blue Cheese.
* Limoncello – Made from scratch, in-house, and served “up”, as an after dinner drink or as a martini.
* Address – 100 East Station Street – Barrington, IL – 60010
* Reservations – Call 847-277-1027 or request yours online at MiaFrancesca.com.
L’Eiffel Bistrot & Creperie
My favorite thing about L’Eiffel Bistrot & Creperie at the Arboretum of South Barrington, aside from the spectacular French Cuisine, is the planning they put into their creative menus and special events hosted throughout the year. They frequently feature live music and menus from special guests chefs with paired wine tastings along with events like Brazilian Nights, Salsa Dancing, Champagne Dinners and tastings like tonight’s “Fizz Night”. You can sign up to receive email alerts about their special events at L’EiffelBistrot.com, and their new menu items, inspired by the holiday season, are worth making a special trip for. Here are some of the most popular new offerings:
* Le Cassoulet de Castel – Originally from Southwestern France, this dish is made with a base of White Northern Beans and an assortment of meats, including Leg of Duck Confit, Ham, Port Confit and Mergues, a Sausage made with Lamb, Beef and Cumin.
* Baba au Rhum – Special Rum Soaked Sponge Cake Dessert served with Creme Patissiere, which is a Vanilla Pastry Cream
* French Champagne – The bartenders at L’Eiffel Bistrot are connisseurs of French Champagne and are offering a delicious selection of Champagnes and holiday cocktails to help keep spirits bright all season long.
* Address – 100 W. Higgins Road – South Barrington, IL – 60010 (in the Arboretum of South Barrington)
* Reservations – Call 847-428-4783 or request yours online at LeiffelBistrot.com.
Now that I’ve just made myself extremely hungry, I’m also wondering about your favorite local restaurants. Is there a special dish, drink or vibe at a restaurant or bar in Barrington that’s worth making a special trip for, in your opinion? Are there other local restaurants you would like to see featured here? If so, please let us know using the comments area below. I look forward to your recommendations. Bon Appetit!