Today is March second, you know what they say
A great man in history was born this day
If he were here now, he’d be one hundred eight
It’s too bad he’s not because his books are great
Some called the man Ted, but most knew another
name for this boy who learned rhymes from his mother
His dad hoped he’d be a college professor
But Ted preferred drawing cartoons, so I guesser
He followed his passion, from what I deduce
That’s why we love to celebrate Dr. Seuss!
In honor of Theodore Seuss Geisel’s 108th birthday, The Lorax movie opens today in theaters nationwide. Universal’s animated 3D film, based on the beloved Dr. Seuss book, is expected to open bigger than any other movie so far this year — easily taking $44 million, and perhaps as much as $50 million, at the box office this weekend.
The Lorax is now showing in the Barrington area at the Regal Lake Zurich Theaters 12, Century 16 Deer Park Town Center and AMC South Barrington 30. Click HERE for a look at the local movie times. To whet your whistle, check out the movie trailer and look out below for a list of some of my favorite Dr. Seuss quotes.
- “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
- “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.”
- “Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.”
- “I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I’ve bought a big bat. I’m all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!”
- “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”
- “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. You are the guy who’ll decide where to go.”
- “If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
- “I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells.”
- “Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.”
~Theodor Seuss Geisel, a.k.a. Dr. Seuss, 1904-1991