Small Business Saturday is two weeks from tomorrow on November 30th and the three-year-old campaign founded by American Express is gaining momentum with merchants across Barrington. Local business owners say they’ll be rolling out the red carpet for shoppers on Small Business Saturday like they do every day of the year. It’s their way of letting us know how vital we are to the success of their businesses and how much they appreciate when we make the choice to shop right here in Barrington.
First there was Black Friday. Then came Cyber Monday. And on November 27, 2010, local businesses across the country celebrated the first ever Small Business Saturday.
To help celebrate our local businesses, over the next two weeks we’ll be featuring some of the biggest supporters of the local Shop Small movement right here at 365Barrington.com. We’re starting today with the owners of Barrington Running Co, Mark and Leanne Konicek.
The Koniceks opened Barrington Running Co. in July of 2012 to offer Barrington a local spot for running, triathlon, yoga and fitness gear and apparel.
Both Mark and Leanne are long-time personal trainers and triathlon coaches so they also feature a fitness area in the back of their store at 133 Park Avenue in Barrington where they host boot camps, running groups and also connect customers with local experts in nutrition.
The Koniceks are so passionate about the cause, they’re sharing updates about Small Business Saturday on their Facebook page. Here’s what they wrote, just this week.
“With Shop Small Saturday coming this month it occurred to me we are focusing on one day when the bigger picture should be Shop Small everyday. Local small businesses do so much for our community. They offer and create sustainable connections that benefit everyone in our community.”
The Konicek’s even came up with a list of “11 perfect reasons why the first place you shop should be local.”
Barrington Running Co’s 11 Reason to Shop Local
1. Money spent stays in the community and has three times the affect on our community than money spent in a big box store.
2. Generates local tax dollars for the community
3. Local values you more as a customer.
4. We support local functions, charities & events.
5. We respond to the needs of the community through a broader range of products.
6. Local businesses thrive on each other. The more we are successful, the more new businesses want to come to the community.
7. A higher standard of service based on honesty, integrity & trust.
8. We create a diverse & distinctive community.
9. It creates local jobs.
10. Local business fuels America’s innovations & success.
11. Helps sustain town centers which reduces environmental issues.
“By shopping locally you help keep Barrington a diverse & thriving community.”
CLICK HERE and search by zip code 60010 to find a list of Barrington businesses that have signed up to participate in Small Business Saturday.