I have recently taken on a project that has me working outside my home full time. So this means, when I’m writing my Heinen’s 4PM Panic post, you can be assured that it is tried and tested. I roll in about 6pm and am faced with a hungry crew. This week I’m featuring Lemon Pepper Fettuccine. It’s meatless but you can easily add the meat from a roasted chicken if you prefer some additional protein. If you do, I would double the sauce. Who doesn’t love extra sauce anyway?! The fettuccine pasta is thick and hearty. Perfectly satisfying on a cool fall evening.
- pinch Kosher salt
- 12 ounces fettuccine
- 2 tablespoon2 unsalted butter
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 to 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup grated pecorino cheese, plus more for garnish
- Freshly ground pepper
- Crusty bread and chopped parsley, for serving (optional)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the fettuccine and cook as the label directs. Drain, reserving about 1/2 cup cooking water.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the shallot and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly golden, about 3 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the cream, egg yolk and lemon zest.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the cream mixture and cheese to the skillet.
- Cook, whisking, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and 2 to 3 teaspoons pepper.
- Add the pasta to the skillet and toss, adding enough of the reserved cooking water to loosen the sauce.
- Divide among bowls and garnish with more pecorino.
- Serve with crusty bread, if desired.
By the way, have you heard about Heinen’s Tasteful Rewards™ program? Sign up for free to receive exclusive weekly specials via email and earn Heinen’s rewards. As a Tasteful Rewards™ membership benefit, Heinen’s will donate up to 1% of your qualified purchases made between September and April to a local school of your choice through their Teaming Up for Education Program. CLICK HERE to sign up for Heinen’s Tasteful Rewards™ and, trust me, this is one email that will always please your palate!
Photographer Sally Roeckell specializes in contemporary lifestyle portraiture with an emphasis on food photography. She regularly shops at Heinen’s for the family dishes she features via Table and Dish on Instagram and on her website at TableAndDish.com.
Heinen’s Grocery is located at 500 N. Hough Street, between E. Main Street and Route 14 (next to Meathead’s) in Barrington, Illinois. They’re open 7 days a week from 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. For more information, visit Heinens.com.