What is your favorite holiday cookie, the one you can’t resist sneaking from the tin before they’re shared? Chocolate Dipped Coconut Macaroons have become our family favorite. They’re easy and delicious.
If you, like me, have been a life long coconut hater, these cookies might just be what brings you out of the darkness. I am now a coconut lover because of these. I recently packaged and sold these cookies at my company holiday charity bazaar. I made 52 bags and extra for samples. The samples went fast and every bag was sold. They’re THAT good.
Chocolate Dipped Coconut Macaroons
- 1 14 oz bag sweetened coconut
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 1 pound dark chocolate for dipping. Ghirardelli makes a nice dark chocolate.
- Pre heat oven to 350°
- In a large mixing bowl combine coconut, condensed milk, salt and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a mixer, whip your egg whites until form medium stiff peaks.
- Fold the egg whites gently into the coconut mixture.
- Using a medium sized scoop, scoop out the dough onto a cookie sheet covered with parchment. Dont pack the scoop tightly. A loose ball of dough is best. It will spread out a bit as it cooks. This gives more surgace area to the bottom of the cookie.
- Don’t be tempted to take them out too soon. You want them to be golden brown with dark brown tips and edges. The dark edges give a sweet chewy-crunch to the cookie and under the dark chocolate it is divine.
- In a glass, heatproof, shallow bowl add 1/2 of the chocolate. Microwave for 1 minute. Stir, repeat for 30 seconds, stir then one last time if needed to melt all pieces. Stir constantly until chocolate is smooth and melted but not too hot.
- Dip each cookie bottom into the chocolate then return to the parchment.
- Allow cookies to cool completely and for the chocolate to harden before placing into an air tight storage container. If you seal it too soon the moisture will take away that delicious crunchiness. Don’t be in a rush. (perfect time for a glass of holiday wine)
Photographer Sally Roeckell specializes in contemporary lifestyle portraiture with an emphasis on food photography. She regularly shops at Heinen’s for the family dishes she features via Table and Dish on Instagram and on her website at TableAndDish.com.
Have you heard about Heinen’s Tasteful Rewards™ program? Sign up for free to receive exclusive weekly specials via email and earn Heinen’s rewards. As a Tasteful Rewards™ membership benefit, Heinen’s will donate up to 1% of your qualified purchases made between September and April to a local school of your choice through their Teaming Up for Education Program. CLICK HERE to sign up for Heinen’s Tasteful Rewards™ and, trust me, this is one email that will always please your palate!
Heinen’s Grocery is located at 500 N. Hough Street, between E. Main Street and Route 14 (next to Meatheads) in Barrington, Illinois. They’re open 7 days a week from 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. For more information, visit Heinens.com.