We lucked out with great weather for grilling this Memorial Day Weekend as friends gathered to kick off the unofficial start of summer. With those grills back in action and Heinen’s Burger Bash coming up next week, today I’m sharing a recipe for a great side that’ll set your grilled burgers ahead of the pack. For this week’s Cooking with Heinen’s post, we’re taking you back to your favorite grade school lunch with a veggie twist on TATER TOTS! Crunchy outside, soft and delicious inside and most importantly, dip-able.
Packed with healthy ingredients, VEGGIE TOTS are deceptively delicious. You can have all the tots you want without the guilt of too many calories. These are baked, not fried yet still have the crunchy exterior and the soft, hot interior. Hallelujah!
If you are just not a fan of cauliflower in any form there’s great news! You can make the exact same recipe by exchanging the cauliflower for sweet potatoes, broccoli or even zucchini. The key is to make sure you squeeze all the moisture out of your veggies. Nobody likes a soggy tot!
Makes about 25 tots
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup white cheddar cheese, grated
- 6 Tbsp parsley, chopped
- 2 large egg
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Microwave cauliflower for 3-4 minutes, until cooked but still firm. drain, allow to cool and blend in a food processor.*
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients.
- *note you can also pulse the raw vegies in the food processor then cook in the microwave. You can even purchase the cauliflower “rice” already chopped in the produce section of Heinen’s. I found that 2 packages was a good amount. The important thing is that once cooked you drain ALL THE LIQUID from the veggies. This is best done by putting it into cheese cloth or even a paper towel and wringing it tightly.
- Shape into tots; place on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes; turn halfway.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Photographer Sally Roeckell specializes in contemporary lifestyle portraiture with an emphasis on food photography. She regularly shops at Heinen’s for the family dishes she features via Table and Dish on Instagram and on her website at TableAndDish.com.
Have you heard about Heinen’s Tasteful Rewards™ program? Sign up for free to receive exclusive weekly specials via email and earn Heinen’s rewards. As a Tasteful Rewards™ membership benefit, Heinen’s will donate up to 1% of your qualified purchases made between September and April to a local school of your choice through their Teaming Up for Education Program. CLICK HERE to sign up for Heinen’s Tasteful Rewards™ and, trust me, this is one email that will always please your palate!
Heinen’s Grocery is located at 500 N. Hough Street, between E. Main Street and Route 14 (next to Meatheads) in Barrington, Illinois. They’re open 7 days a week from 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. For more information, visit Heinens.com.