Ovens around Barrington are working overtime this week as the ladies of the Community Church of Barrington prepare for their annual Cookie Walk this weekend. If you’d like to bring a plate of freshly baked homemade cookies home for your family or neighbors, it’s a good idea to get their early. Believe it or not, this is one of the hottest holiday traditions in Barrington!
People come in as early as 9 a.m. for tickets, with the Cookie Walk beginning at 10:30 a.m. and lasting until 12:30 p.m this Saturday, December 8th, 2012. But don’t forget that, last year, the cookies sold out in just an hour and 20 minutes. So you might want to be first in line to get the best of the batches.
For $10, each person can fill one pound boxes, circulating through the vast array of homemade cookies, bars, and treats, picking those that they desire. Sterile gloves are provided for a germ free environment.
Proceeds from the event are always given to local and regional mission groups selected by the Women’s Fellowship Council of the Community Church of Barrington.
Past groups that the Council donated to include:
- Alice Lloyd College, Pippa Passes, KY
- Barrington Township Food Pantry
- Chicago Childrens Advocacy Center
- F.I.S.H. Carpentersville
- Hough Elementary School Christmas Gift Baskets
- Humanitarian Effort in Africa, Kenya
- Moffat Bible College Sunrise Orphans, Kenya
- Lake County PADS Crisis Services
- Race Track Chaplaincy of America, Bensalem, PA
- Samaritan Counseling Center of the Northwest Suburbs, Barrington
- The Night Ministry, Chicago
- Women in Need Growing Stronger (WINGS), Palatine
You’ll find the Community Church of Barrington at 407 S. Grove Avenue, you can CLICK HERE to find their Facebook page and you’ll find more information about the church on their website at CCBarrington.org.
Every year when I write this story this song gets stuck in my head. And it’s the same story today. Sorry to do this to you, but I just can’t help it. I have a soft spot for Sesame Street, for cookies and for church ladies ;).