The community is celebrating Barrington High School’s 752 Class of 2018 graduates for an impressive list of honors and achievements. During the commencement ceremony Friday night, BHS Principal Steve McWilliams shared the students’ list of accomplishments plus the top 20 colleges & universities they’re heading to this fall. Here’s a look at some of the highlights about this year’s class.
Top 10 post-secondary destinations in alphabetical order are:
- DePaul University
- Harper College
- Illinois State University
- Indiana University, Bloomington
- Loyola University, Chicago
- Purdue University
- University of Illinois, Chicago
- University of Illinois, Urbana
- University of Iowa
- University of Wisconsin, Madison
Highly selective universities graduates plan to attend this fall:
- Northwestern University
- Vanderbilt University
- University of Notre Dame
- Wash U, in St. Louis
- University of Pennsylvania
- Columbia University
- University of Chicago
- UC, Berkeley
- West Point
- 211 members of the class are Illinois State Scholars, 28 are National Merit Commended, and 9 are National Merit
- Four graduates scored a 36 on the ACT, one earned a perfect score on the SAT, and one member of
the class is among 26 students worldwide who answered every question correct on the Advanced Placement Economics Exam.
- This year six students were selected for ILMEA District 7 Choir and two were selected for the All State Choir. Additionally, 17 First Division ratings were awarded to BHS choir students, and two students earned “Best of
- Seven members of the Orchestra were selected for the ILMEA District Orchestra this year, while four students
were selected for the ILMEA All-State Orchestra and one student for the National Honor Orchestra.
- The spring musical, Joseph & the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, can only be described as a blockbuster, with students performing for four sold out crowds.
- For the third consecutive year, BHS-TV has earned Best News Program in the Midwest. They were also recognized by the National Television Academy for Excellence in High School Production.
- BHS-TV also helped to raise over a million dollars by creating videos promoting philanthropic causes including Gigi’s Playhouse, Relay for Life, and PKS. (Pallister Killian Syndrome).
- On the courts, fields and in the pool students won 76% of their contests.
- In a conference with 12 schools and 30 conference championships, athletes have won either the divisional or
conference championship in 17 of them.
- So far, under senior leadership, BHS has won 8 regional championships and 8 sectional championships, with 59 state qualifiers and 28 state medal winners.
- In addition, the class produced 28 all-state athletes and 207 academic all-conference senior athletes.
- The class performed more than 47,500 volunteer hours during the past four years
- 69 members of the class completed over 200 volunteer hours
- 4 have performed over 500 hours and 1 students completed more that 850 hours.
- 91 of classmates received the President’s Volunteer Service Award for completing over 100 hours of service in a 12 month period.
Congratulations to the Class of 2018, thanks for making us proud and best of luck with your bright futures!