We just spent Fourth of July weekend celebrating our country’s independence, but today’s a day to celebrate all countries and cultures without leaving Barrington. The first ever Barrington International Fest is happening today from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. and we’re all invited to share a sampling of dance, food and music from around the world.
International Fest will be a day full of fun for all ages with vendors, performers and attendees from far beyond the Barrington area. There are activities planned for kids, teens and adults along with music from around the world.
The Barrington International Fest will take place in the 4th of July brat tent location. Admission from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. is FREE. The cost is $2 per adult and $5 per family after 5 p.m. You’ll find the Brat Tent set up in the North Commuter Lot of the Metra Train Station at 201 South Spring Street in Barrington and here is the schedule of today’s events:
Schedule of Events
- 11:00 a.m. – Shannon Rovers Irish Pipe Band, piper – Just as they’ve stepped off Chicago’s annual St. Patrick’s Day parades since 1956, members of the Shannon Rovers Irish Pipe Bank will kick off the FEST’s celebration.
- Noon – Inkapirka will entertain with music of the Andes. Flutes, pan flutes and other instruments constructed of aquatic reeds highlight the haunting, ancient pre-Incan music.
- 1:00 p.m. – Ikebana, Japanese Flower Arranging, Kazuko Ernst, Grand Master, Ohara School of Ikebana demonstrates ten flower arrangements
- 2:00 p.m. – Language Stars – Mandarin language interactive activity – Language Stars will provide culturally-rich foreign language activities, crafts and music, including an interactive Mandarin Chinese session, throughout the afternoon.
- 2:30 p.m. – Japanese Consulate presents cultural activities for children: origami, kendo, calligraphy, kimono etiquette, and chop stick fun.
- 4:00 p.m. – Barrington Area Library Story time – Librarians from the Youth Services department will present enchanting stories from around the world–folktales from Asian, African, British and Native American traditions. Colorful “big books” will illustrate the stories.
- 5:00 p.m. – Bollywood in Barrington! Indian Dance School – Join Schaumburg’s Gauri Jog and her Indian Dance School in a Bollywood dance experience or be an avid spectator.
- 6:00 p.m. – Learn to salsa dance with instructors from Chicago’s premier Latin Street Dance Academy. This energetic and zesty dance form evolved from a blending of African drum rhythms and Spanish guitar melodies.
- 8:00 p.m. – Chinese drummers of the Cheng Da Percussion Ensemble will share their rich cultural heritage and their talents during the FEST’s finale. The Ensemble’s big sound musicality is regularly heard in Chicago’s Millennium Park and Daley Center Plaza.
A variety of ethnic foods will be available along with soft drinks, beer and wine. Click HERE to learn more about today’s International Fest. The Barrington Breakfast Rotary Club (BBRC), one of two Rotary clubs in Barrington, was formed in 1988 by members from the Rotary Club of Barrington (Noon). They are a diverse group of professionals living and/or working in the Barrington area who are united in our commitment to provide humanitarian service.