In this week’s Heinen’s 4PM Panic post we are steering clear of turkey. I personally made far too much for the holiday this year and the leftovers are still waiting to be eaten. With all the work involved in celebrating Thanksgiving and decorating the house, I wanted to share something completely easy with fresh salmon found at Heinen’s seafood counter.
Have you cooked with fresh fennel? It lends a fresh anise flavor that really brings out the flavor of the salmon. And if you’re looking for the freshest fish in Barrington? You definitely have to drop by Heinen’s Seafood Counter!
Fennel Baked Side of Salmon
- Two large bulbs fresh fennel, trimmed and sliced
- two red onions cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tarragon leaves
- Kosher salt and cracked pepper
- one large salmon fillet skin on
- 1/3 cup chopped flat parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon salted capers rinsed
- 1/4 cup good olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Combine the fennel, onion, oil, tarragon, salt and pepper and place in a large baking dish bake at 375° for 20 minutes.
- Place the salmon on top of the partially cooked vegetables skin side down.
- Combine the parsley, lemon rind, capers and olive oil and sprinkle along the length of the salmon.
- Bake in oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve…it’s that easy. Try in with green beans, roasted potatoes or your favorite rice and a tossed salad.
Sometimes I try things that fail. I added thinly sliced radishes and carrots as a garnish for a fresh look. It really just made the dish look messy. Tasty but I wouldn’t add it again. Live, learn, REPEAT!
I originally posted this recipe in one of my Heinen’s Sunday Supper posts here at 365Barrington.com. You can find all the recipes from that post here.
The beauty of this dish is that it can be used for company when you need to serve something impressive AND because it’s so easy, it can be a great dinner on any weekday.
Have you heard about Heinen’s Tasteful Rewards™ program? Sign up for free to receive exclusive weekly specials via email and earn Heinen’s rewards. As a Tasteful Rewards™ membership benefit, Heinen’s will donate up to 1% of your qualified purchases made between September and April to a local school of your choice through their Teaming Up for Education Program. CLICK HERE to sign up for Heinen’s Tasteful Rewards™ and, trust me, this is one email that will always please your palate!
Photographer Sally Roeckell specializes in contemporary lifestyle portraiture with an emphasis on food photography. She regularly shops at Heinen’s for the family dishes she features via Table and Dish on Instagram and on her website at TableAndDish.com.
Heinen’s Grocery is located at 500 N. Hough Street, between E. Main Street and Route 14 (next to Meatheads) in Barrington, Illinois. They’re open 7 days a week from 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. For more information, visit Heinens.com.